Tortang Talong or eggplant omelet is a simple yet delicious Filipino recipe. You can either make it plain or add some meat of your choice such as bacon, breakfast sausage, hotdog, or even ground pork. This is usually served for breakfast but other people eat it for lunch or dinner. There are 2 ways to prep the eggplant to make it soft. You can either boil or grill it. Grilling adds this smoky taste which makes it more flavorful. In this recipe, I boiled the eggplant coz it’s easier for me that way. But if you decide to grill it instead of boiling, all you need to do is grill the eggplant until color turns dark or almost black. Cool then peel the skin off. Hope you like our version of Tortang Talong.
- 3 pcs medium sized eggplant
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3-4 pcs bacon
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the eggplants in a large pot and cover with water.
- Boil until soft, about 30-40 minutes then set aside.
- In a large pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Chop and set side.
- Using the same pan, Brown the garlic. Add the onion and cook til transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook til soft. Then mix in the bacon.
- Crack the eggs and place in a bowl. Add a sprinkle of salt and beat.
- Place the eggplant on a large plate and flatten using a fork.
- Pour in the bacon mixture onto the eggplant.
- Heat the pan and pour the cooking oil.
- Fry the eggplant for about 3-5 minutes on each side or until color turns light brown.
- Share and enjoy!