Ensaladang Labanos or Radish Salad is a popular side dish in the Philippines. It is made of thinly sliced radish(daikon), tomatoes and onions, mixed with vinegar. Some people even add dilis (dried anchovy) to the mix. The word “Ensalada” is a borrowed Spanish word meaning Salad, while the “labanos” is the Tagalog word for Radish. This ensaladang labanos is best to eat with fried or grilled pork, or fish.
- 1 pc. medium labanos (daikon), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pc. small tomato, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pc small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- salt and salt, pepper to taste
- 1 stalk fresh spring onions, minced (for garnish) – optional
- 1 tbsp. sea salt (use when squeezing labanos)
- In a medium bowl, place labanos and sprinkle salt. Let it stand for 10-15mins then squeeze labanos to extract the bitter juice. Wash and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, tomatoes, onions, pepper then add a pinch of sugar.
- Add the labanos and mix all the ingredients well. Sprinkle with minced spring onions if desired.
- Let it sit for at least 15 minutes inside the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.
- Enjoy your Ensaladang Labanos and don’t forget to share!