Chicken Sotanghon Guisado
Chicken Sotanghon Guisado is another popular noodle dish in the Philippines. It is similar to Pancit Bihon or Pancit Canton. Some people use annato (atsuete) to provide color and also for presentation. Don’t worry, it will not affect the taste. I also like to squeeze a few drops of lime or lemon juice on top before I eat. This just gives extra flavor to the dish. The scallions are used for toppings but I totally forgot to put some before I took a pic… Maybe I was sooo hungry and couldn’t wait to eat. 🙂
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (leftover rotisserie will be good too)
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) sotanghon noodles(vermicelli)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cube chicken bouillon(optional)
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped thinly
- 2 medium-sized carrots, julienned
- 2 cups cabbage, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, sliced lengthwise
- chopped scallions for toppings(optional)
- In a large pan or wok, heat oil and brown garlic.
- Add onions, cook til soft then add tomatoes. Stir for about a minute.
- Add shredded chicken and mix.
- Pour water and let it boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce and chicken bouillon.
- Cover and simmer for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add celery and red bell pepper. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and simmer for about a minute before adding the carrots. Stir for 4-5 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper depending on taste.
- Push the chicken and vegetables on one side of the pan, then add the sotanghon noddles on the other side. Coat with broth/sauce and cook til soft.
- Mix the noodles with the rest of the ingredients until well combined.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with chopped scallions.
- You can squeeze some lemon juice on top before eating(optional).
- Enjoy your Chicken Sotanghon Guisado and don’t forget to share!