Bulalo is a famous soup in the Philippines. One of my favorites too! Its main ingredient is beef shank(if you don’t have beef shank, you can use beef chunks and just plain beef bone marrow). It is boiled for a long time until meat gets super tender then mixed with vegetables such as corn, cabbage, pechay or bok choy, and potatoes(optional). This recipe doesn’t really call for potatoes but I added it on mine because my kids love them(you can just omit the potatoes if you want – it’s still gonna be super delicious!). Simmering beef or any other meat for longer periods of time makes it tender and releases all of its flavor. That’s one reason why Bulalo tastes so good and flavorful. Try it for yourself and you’ll understand what I mean! Enjoy!
- 2.5 lbs beef shank or (2 lbs bone marrow and 1.5 lbs beef chuck, chopped into medium chunks)
- 2 cloves garlic, slightly crushed and minced
- 1 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced
- ½ pc small cabbage, whole leaf individually detached
- 1 small bundle Pechay or bok choy
- 3 pcs corn on the cob, each cut into 3 parts
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, chopped (optional)
- 4 stalks green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp Whole pepper corn
- 10 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 beef cube (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a big cooking pot, heat oil. Saute garlic, onions, and tomatoes.
- Add beef and mix thoroughly. Stir for about 3 minutes or until beef turns light brown.
- Pour water. Cover and let it boil until scum appears on the surface. Remove all the scum or brown bubbles that will form on top of the soup.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, beef cube, and peppercorns.
- Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 1.5 to 2 hours. Add more water if needed.
- Add corn on the cob and let it cook for 10 minutes. Add the pechay, cabbage, and green onions. You can season with salt and pepper to suit your taste. Continue simmering for another 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with rice.
- Enjoy your Bulalo and don’t forget to share!